Monday, November 29, 2010

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Well the Holiday Season has officially kicked off. I trust each of you ate enough turkey to stuff yourself and make you think about changing into maternity pants like Joey on Friends. Jarred and I's Thanksgiving weekend was full of time well spent with family, Black Friday shopping, and of course one or two adventures/ near disasters (I use these terms interchangeably, of course) ...about par for the course I'd say! Here's how it all started:

We were riding the 40ish minute T ride to the airport to catch our afternoon flight home. Because of how hectic the airport can be the day before Thanksgiving, we made sure to leave a little earlier than normal and therefore made it safely to the airport without incident, bopping merrily along. However, it was at precisely this moment, when things were running far too smoothly, I realized I left our train tickets at home. Yes that's right, TRAIN tickets. No, no, not for the ride down...that was a plane, but for the ride back up to Boston. Sunday flights after Thanksgiving are outrageously expensive and quite out of our price range. Thus we chose the next logical choice, a train. Back in the spring I tried a similar Amtrak adventure which turned into a bus riding catastrophe, leaving me with a $115 Amtrak credit and thankful to be alive. Although I nearly swore off the idea of trying Amtrak again, $115 goes a long way in helping us see our families for Thanksgiving. Except that the tickets I bought with said credit and which could not be reproduced were now back at the apartment with the busy airport and ticking clock staring me in the face! I threw Jarred his plane ticket, told him to wish me luck, and made a run for it. Visions of Home Alone and Supermarket Sweep blurred together in my head. I quickly found a taxi with a Russian mobster to drive me home, got home, ransacked the house for the tickets (leaving it in quite the dizzying disarray for when we came back), got back in the taxi and told the mobster to step on it. Praise the Lord I made it back to the airport with time to spare, a security line that was non-existent...shocking for Thanksgiving weekend, and a phone that had not been called by my mother...who quite possibly would not have made it through had she known what was happening in the previous hour. It was what some might call, A Thanksgiving Miracle!


P.S.
I'd also like to report that when the Amtrak leg of our journey arrived, it was quite a pleasant experience!! I highly recommend it with a friend, sleeping eye mask, computer and a few Redbox movies! Just ride it all the way to your destination, don't try to stop and change to a bus...totally not worth the money. But that story, my friend, will have to wait for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment