Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A Little Something Special

Since taking on my fun new embroidery hobby, I've often thought about ways I can use my new machine as a ministry. I know that making things for people brightens my day, but I also wanted to figure out how I could serve the Lord with my skills (minimal as they are). As I considered options, my thoughts drifted to the smallest, most special people in all the world and the scared moms who are giving birth to them, the women who find themselves unexpectedly pregnant and terrified by their options. I decided to approach a local crisis pregnancy center with an idea. It was a long shot that they would respond favoribly, but to my delight and surprise they did! So here's the deal:

I'm partnering with a local Pregnancy Resource Center here in Boston to make special gifts for the moms and new babies they serve. The women who seek out help from this center are often scared and confused. It's likely that many of them feel alone, are quite scared about their future, and perhaps have little money. These moms have many physical needs, and the resource center does their best to help them. But they also need to know that they are loved. All babies are miracles and gifts from the Lord, but these babies in particular. When their moms were faced with a tough and scary decision, they chose life. Because of the law, they were presented information about abortion and could have ended their pregnancy before their babies even had a chance to live, but instead they choose to give their baby a chance. To support these women and help celebrate their new little one, I'll be making personalized burp cloths, blankets, and more for them. It's just a little something special to help them feel loved.

The reason I'm sharing this with you is, I'd love for you to join me in loving these moms and babies if you feel led. Because of confidentiality we'll never meet these moms, know their names or know anything about them. All I'll be given is the first name or initials of each new little miracle. Then I'll embroider something special and drop it off at the resource center. You can help in two ways if you'd like. 1)You could sponser a baby. In the coming days, I'll post example pictures of the receiving blankets, burp cloths, bibs, etc. that you could help give. I'll post the price of materials for each item, and you can email me if you'd like to donate the money to sponser an item for a baby. We are talking from $2-$20ish depending on the item. AND/OR 2) Pray for the moms and babies who will receive these special gifts. They likely have a tough road ahead of them and prayer is powerful!

I can't wait to begin this journey...pictures and more info to come soon!!

1 comment:

  1. This is amazing ME...I would love to help out however I can! What a powerful idea...a way to show love to those who need it most!

    ReplyDelete