Thursday, March 17, 2011

Sports Aggression..Eeek!

Hello, My name is Mary Ellen...and I have Sports Aggression.

Sweet, mostly kind, and a little crazy. That's how I imagine people see me most of the time. I skip, pick daisies, and sing patriotic medleys. I smile, sew, and hug babies. But apparently it's not all fun and games in the happy-go-lucky world of ME. I tend to get heavily invested in sporting events. When I watch them, this incredibly dark, competitive, and highly inappropriate side of me seems to creep up out of nowhere. I call this "sports aggression," and I'm here to confess that my sports aggression is out of control! During Clemson's recent game against West Virginia, I was chatting with Jarred. All the sudden I looked back through our conversation, and these are the quotes I discovered:

1) I just hope they (the tigers) can keep it up...nail those Big East lovers straight through the heart!

2) Those WV fans make me want to punch them in the face.

3) There are so many WV people there...I guess they really don't work or go to school much in that state though, so it makes sense.

Now, do I really want to punch West Virginia fans in the face? No. Are those comments meant to be somewhat joking and lighthearted, yes! But, oh my, that's a little intense. Leaves me thinking, "did I really just say that!?" I chalk some of it up to the sport being basketball. I've always hated the way it sweeps me up so intensely in its fast paced scoring. Puts me near a heart attack every single time. Yet, it's no excuse. I'm embarrassed. Forgive me West Virginia. I know you're a state of lovely people. In fact, Jarred's favorite athlete of all time, Randy Moss, hails from West Virgina, thanks for him! It's just my sports aggression, you understand.

P.S. I've never been a fan of the "you beat us, we should hope you do well, so we look better" mentality. I hope you get absolutely slaughtered in the 2nd round.

Oh no...there I go again!!

1 comment: