Sunday, February 19, 2012

Safe and Sound in Kenya...Barely!!

Well, we made it!! And boy are we glad we did! Although our flights were totally smooth and landed safely, I can't say the journey was drama free. In fact...it was horrifying!!! Midway across the Atlantic, I had a Home Alone moment. All of the sudden, just like the mom from Home Alone, I sat straight up in my seat and felt my stomach sink as low as it could go!! I gasp for breath and turned to Jarred...


I realized that we 100% did not have the immunization documentation we needed to enter Kenya. The doctor had given us a little yellow card that he said we MUST have to cross the border with proof of our Yellow Fever shots...and I had totally forgotten to pack them. In fact, they didn't even cross my mind once leading up to the trip. Daily I thought of things we needed to pack and for weeks I added to our suitcases...but not once did I think of those cards. Needless to say I almost had a heart attack, and I'm positive that it was the most humiliating moment of my life. All I kept thinking was how all these people helped support our trip, all these people donated money and items for the kids in Kenya and now I totally ruined it! We weren't even going to be allowed in the country!!

The next 4 hours of flight time to Amsterdam were pretty miserable. We were supposed to be sleeping to help our bodies adjust to the time change, but we spent all 4 hours desperately trying to make contact with my family. We tried to send out emails and texts from the little tvs on the back of each plane seat. We begged 3 different flight attendants for any comforting word that we wouldn't be rejected from the country, but none of them were sure about the policy. One sweet, sweet attendant actually went and talked to the pilots. She got them to send out some message to an operator to call my mom and have her try and convince our doctors to go to their offices in the middle of the night to find and fax our paper work...to who knows where!? It was an absolute mess!! And I was completely horrified and humbled. Jarred and I made plans to stay in Amsterdam for a few days if we had to while the little Yellow Cards were rushed mailed across the Atlantic to us. It was complete DISASTER mode. I truly cannot express how awful it feels to be on a plane with no access to the outside world, knowing that you forgot one of the 3 things you need upon arrival. All we could do was sit there and pray that somehow the policy had changed...somehow we wouldn't need them.

As soon as we landed in Amsterdam we rushed to the airport's medical clinic. There they told us they "thought" the shots were now optional for Kenya and that we probably didn't need the documentation. While it was somewhat comforting, we still had to board our second flight to Kenya without knowing for sure whether or not we'd be let in. Not the greatest feeling in the world!! But we continued to pray for a miracle.

When our flight arrived, we waited in line to buy our visas and show our passports, terrified. However, the mood suddenly lightened when both Jarred and I realized a funny coincidence. Just last week we watched the "I Love Lucy" episode where Lucy gets stuck at the Italy/France border because she forgot her "passa-port." We both laughed. When I was little I told my mom I wanted to be just like Lucy...and what do you know...I really am!! Haha

 After the "Home Alone" face...I made this Lucy face!!

A few minutes later it was our turn and Praise the Lord!!! Me and my Latin Beau were not turned away! Kenya welcomed us with open arms. The Yellow Fever shots are no longer required for entry to Kenya, only recommended. Hallelujah!! We are now safe and sound!

This morning we were able to go to church and worship our great God with the beautiful people here. It was a blessing and an honor to be a part of their congregation. Tomorrow we're off to our first school and we absolutely can not wait! All of the little children we met today were so precious! As soon as they saw us they stuck out their little hands to say hello. We just wanted to pick up every one of them and spin them around. So cute!!

Well that's all for now! Dinner time! We'll keep you guys updated! And THANK YOU for your prayers. We realize more than ever that we are completely incompetent on our own and rely solely on the provisions of the Lord Most High! Bye Bye for now!

4 comments:

  1. Yay! What great news that you are both safe and sound! What is the mission while on your trip? ~Jennifer Greene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make a difference MaryEllen... if anyone can you two can!
    Love you, Walt and Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are praying for you!!! Glad it all turned out okay...whew!

    ReplyDelete